Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Sunday, 22 May 2016




I took this photo a few weeks ago.

The sorbus leaves swayed on a light breeze against a blue sky. My back was warmed by a weak Spring sun. The garden smelt of Spring - turned soil, spring bulbs, and grass cuttings. The garden was a noisy place to be ~ birds chattering and squabbling at the bird feeders.
All was well with my world.

Days later my mother in law died very suddenly at home.
There was no time to say thank you for welcoming me so readily into her family, for all the baby sitting she had done,  all the knitting, for treating me so well,  for all the bunches of flowers,  helping us to move house, for helping us to paint the nursery - she proudly bought the pram, for the meals she brought when our kids were young and I was so tired, for the Sunday lunches she cooked to perfection, afternoons spent playing by the paddling pool with the kids, coming home to find she had been over while we were at work and done the gardening, for the holidays we enjoyed at her caravan, Christmases and birthdays, meals out, for teaching me about gardening and the visiting birds. 
We always hugged when we met and when we departed.
Not this time.
Just one kiss, "God bless", and tears.

And today I shall return to my garden, do some planting, listen to the birds, soak up the sun, and remember her fondly, no more tears ~ well maybe a few tears. x.

12 comments:

  1. How beautiful your words about your mother in law are. She will have known how grateful you were for all she did and how pleased you were to be part of her family without you having had to say so at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much ~ your kind comment means tons to me.
      L.x.

      Delete
  2. Dear Lynn, I do understand the heartbreak of not being able to say good bye. But those are really only words, and it sounds as though she knew how very much she was loved and included by you in your lives. Hugs and prayers for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ~ your words always soothe, Elizabeth. x.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that Lynn. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss, dear Lynn. What a wonderful woman your mother-in-law was! I love your heartfelt tribute to her. Prayers for your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen ~ if I can be half as good a mum in law as she was I shall be pleased.

      Delete
  5. I felt the same way when my Mother-in-law died. I hope through the years she knew what she meant to me as I'm sure yours knew of your love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This made me sad; not only for your loss which you expressed so beautifully, but for the fact that my mother-in-law has never done anything kind for me, my husband or my daughters.

    ReplyDelete