Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
I saw him with my very own eyes, right outside my very own house!

Sunday, 12 January 2014

What are the best life lessons you can learn?



I was thinking the other day how much easier life would be if you knew now what you will know when you are older. Does that make sense - lol?

They say you can not put an old head on young shoulders but a lot of grief could be spared if you could.

But then again, there are some young people who have more common sense and life wisdom than older folk.




I read a really good interview the other day where the actor Derek Jacobi said “Age hasn’t brought wisdom, for me. It’s brought experience, but I don’t know if it’s brought wisdom.”


The interviewer then asked, "But surely experience makes you wiser?"
Jacobi replied, “Not necessarily. It makes you an amalgamation of facts and experiences, but it’s up to you whether you learn from them, whether you put into practice what you’ve learnt or whether you go from experience to experience and don’t actually retain what you’ve learnt."
This made me think; so what have I learnt?And this is my list....

* Whether this a happy time or a sad time, this too will pass.
* When catastrophe strikes, can I try to see the bigger picture? When I am 80 years old will it seem such a catastrophe or just a pin prick in life's hurts? And, if yes it will still present as one of the catastrophes of my life, will I be able to say that I went through the experience with courage and a smile? 
* All we have is this very moment right now, who knows what tomorrow or even later today will bring? So enjoy now, right now, this very minute. Look at something lovely, smell something lovely, think something lovely, feel something lovely, say something that is lovely to someone else. 
* Enjoy the positives in life right now and ignore the negatives; they will only weaken me. Ok it is dark and dismal and wintry but it doesn't take much effort to make a cosy corner. There are folk flooded out of their homes right now in the UK - how they would love your cosy space. There are folk in the world who wish they had a home; flooded or no. 
* Serve others; you will receive back one hundred times the love you have invested. And if I can do this I will have lived a good life. 
* Live by what you know to be True. 
* Know that at all times, whether they be mad, bad, sad or glad, you are not alone.
































* Do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today. Tomorrow the job will seem even harder.    Do it today, get it out the way.

* Forgive yourself.  Forgive others. None of us are perfect.

* Let go, let God.



I would love to hear from you. What have you learnt about life?

L.x.


6 comments:

  1. That's a fun prompt! I'll just say a few things. Listen hard. Journey inward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your life lessons Pom Pom :)
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and, look forward rather than backward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying hard with this one Elizabeth :)
      L.x.

      Delete
  4. Don't rely on an external force to rescue or guide you - all that you need is within yourself.

    Thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting JoAnn - I think we often fail to realise the strength and resilience we have.
      L.x.

      Delete