Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Wednesday, 1 January 2014

In the bleak mid winter...

.... I totally forget the colour that the previous Summer garden has offered. 


The pots are now empty.


The greenhouse is crammed with rough looking stuff which will bloom again as it always does. But it all looks very dead in there at the moment :)

The garden has yellow winter jasmine, dog wood stems, primroses, pansies and all the evergreens but it is a subdued winter scene nothing like the exuberance of Summer....



But the garden still calls me and the past two afternoons I have gardened until darkness fell.  I sipped tea on the bench and watched the birds.  I have cleared tons of weeds, I have pruned and cut back.  I have cleared empty patches ready to re-fill with perennial divisions.

And I have thought quiet thoughts; subdued thoughts which needed to be thought through alone, without disturbing anyone else  :)

The garden has been mightily battered by storms and workmen who had to replace many fence panels which were blown down. But as I surveyed the weather damage, mug of tea in hand, I decided this was a good thing. I will be able to put new & different  stuff in the gaps. After all, a  garden is never finished and often evolves into a more beautiful place after each battering & clear out. A bit like life in general, I suppose.

So as the Winter progresses, I shall continue to be out there each day, hacking back and plotting and not quite believing that, in just a few months time, colour and warmth will return.


Happy New Year.

L.x.

The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's Heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on Earth.



(Dorothy Frances Gurney)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love reading your garden posts. You inspire me to get out there earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working in the garden is a healing thing, for you and the garden, love the little poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year. 100 allium bulbs to get in the ground. Aaaaarrgh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing colour in the garden, Lynn. Not too long now!

    ReplyDelete