Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Grumpy Old Woman Strikes Again

It takes a lot to get me cross.



I'd like to think that is because I am a calm kinda girl.


But, to be honest, I think I am just too lazy to get cross - after all it takes a lot of energy and then there is the effort to calm down again.






And I have noticed that some cross people never seem to calm down again and remain in that unhappy fevered place, and that scares me.

But as I get older ( lol!!!!!) I am beginning to hear the groans of the grumpy woman within.

I laughed out loud as I listened to Woman's Hour yesterday when Jenny Eclair vented her scorn on the "New Year, New You" articles we see everywhere at the mo. She argued that she doesn't want a new me and that she is fairly ok with the me she is right now. She was very funny.

I also get grumpy in the run up to Christmas when we are supposed to be doing everything we possibly can to have "the perfect Christmas".





If you put aside the religious meaning of Christmas for just a moment, the practical  reality of Christmas is that it is a day to relax with family and eat a nice lunch. If you are lucky enough to have money for food and family to share it with then you've already got "perfect" and whether you roast those potatoes in goose fat or oil ain't gonna change that.

When my kids were growing up I read every article I could find on how to be the perfect Mother.



Then I heard Claire Raynor in an interview saying that we just need to be "good enough" mothers and to relax and enjoy our kids. That coloured my view on a lot of things in my life.

So it looks like being "new year, old me, good enough me" and "beep beep beep" to perfection!

L.x.


3 comments:

  1. Love this post Lynn and the great vintage images
    Happy new year
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Thanks for that quote from Clare Rayner about good enough. I think its a great point. A lot of us get too stressed trying to be perfect at everything, and there are just not enough hours in the day.

    Take care
    Prim xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! So true. I liked it on Downton Abbey when Granny said to Mary, "There are different ways to be a good mother." Smart.
    I read SO MANY books about housekeeping and they were highly entertaining. They did shape my efforts some, I think. Now I look back at them as historical artifacts. We get so much smarter, don't we? Sending heaps of love your way, wonderful Lynn.

    ReplyDelete