Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Tuesday, 31 December 2013

One girl's minimalism is another girl's clutter

During this quiet "in betweeny" time I have been reading.......



The "Living with less" book is actually a workbook with very specific lists of things to do. The funny thing was as I read what we were supposed to be left with AFTER the de-clutter I realised that that was probably more than I have BEFORE my declutter!

And yet I do feel that I have too much stuff.

As you know I have been taking part in a "365 less things" style project. Sadly I have not kept count of the number of things I have got rid of but I am absolutely sure that it is more than 365 things as I got rid of 2 or 3 things most days.

And yet I still have more than I want or need to feel comfortable, so the challenge continues.

The mantra of the middle book is "love it, use it or lose it" lol - which is helping me a lot when I get indecisive.

The black holes I have left are my book shelves - I have decided to try to root out just one book per day until I am left with the "must keeps".

Our garage is also a black hole. I have recently found some fab indoor paint which is water based so great for my asthma, dries quickly and "behaves" as it does not streak or blob! So there is a lot of old gloss paint that can now go, lots of emulsions which can go and lots of unused tools, and plenty of the "it might come in handy" stuff too. Thankfully our recycling centre will safely deal with all of these.

The £5 a day recipe book is an updated version of the book I bought many years ago. It is filled with good sense and I am enjoying reading through it and will try some of the recipes soon.

I feel much better when I live in less cluttered rooms :) But this is a totally subjective thing.

But whether you are minimalist or not; I think many of us have been known to think, "Just how did I get all this stuff, where did it come from?"

L.x.


Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.  ~Confucius

6 comments:

  1. Good for you, simplifying! I'm going to do a wee bit of that today, two boxes full.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I know....where did it all come from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decluttered my book shelves, they got as far as bagged up in a cupboard. Someone told me charity shops dont take books any more. How sad is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our charity shops still take books - but the bags that come round , on the whole don't.

      Delete
  4. Oh me too, I MUST get rid of some more stuff this coming year! Happy New Year dear friend, and every blessing for 2014! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've begun my de-cluttering - 4 items per day - and yet I live in a very tidy house - it is those nooks and crannies that catch me - little places to stuff things - well out they come and on to their new homes.

    ReplyDelete