Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Tuesday, 10 September 2013

Happy 100th birthday Mrs Jesse Guarita

When we visited Calamity Jane (our caravan) in Dorset during July a local lady was celebrating her 100th birthday.

A keen needlewoman,  her son had organised an exhibition of her work..



















Mrs Guarita started doing patchwork when she was just ten years old. She then lived in a small village in Portugal and used the fabric scraps from her mother's dressmaking work. She was entirely self taught. She continued to use scraps of fabric - often found outside dress-makers' shops near her new home in London.

I loved her work because she used up bits and bobs rather than buy new fabric to cut up and work. Much of the work was hand stitched.

She fitted all this sewing around a full time job. She said she sometimes stayed up stitching until 3am as she enjoyed making things so much.

I really enjoyed the exhibition.

As the Autumn days limit my gardening pursuits (slightly - I am after all obsessed with gardening!), I think I might have another go at some patchwork. I shall follow Mrs Guarita's  fine example and use up my scraps. If any of this materialises (materialises - ha!!) I shall come here and show you.
Much love, as always.
L.x.


5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed, can't imagine being 100 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What stunning work, with such cheery colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing display - amazing woman - amazing son too. I love the brightness of her work. And I can't wait to see what "materialises" from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That exhibition is such a tribute to a grand old woman. I like the idea of using bits and bobs.

    ReplyDelete