Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Wednesday, 16 January 2013

You're a big girl, aren't you Mrs Clere?


Forgive me if I have told you this one......

I was trying to encourage writing skills so sat at the writing table. Young children often follow an adult round a classroom for a natter and then have a go at what you are doing. So I sat at the writing table doodling and sure enough Ross (aged 4)  joined me and started scribbling away too.

As I surreptiously watched him work noting to myself what he could do and what he needed more help with, he sighed deeply and said, "I mean, you're a big girl aren't you, Mrs Clere?"

Mmmm now what does he mean I thought. Young children can use words like big to mean a whole host of things. Big could mean tall - I may only be 5ft 4 but to a 4 year old that is tall, it could be used to imply age - I was only 38 but to a 4 year old that is old! Finally he could just be referring to my big size - ok I was overweight but not too bad! So before I replied (and reminded him about what is and what is not kind to say to folks!!) I decided to get my facts straight and casually asked as I continued to doodle, "How do you mean, Ross?"

He put down his pen, sighed again and said wistfully, "Well I bet you're allowed to go up the shop on your own, I'm not".

Phew,  so he meant age and not size - lol!!!


We had a big bird come to the garden yesterday - a sparrowhawk. Beautiful.


And he doesn't have to go up the shop for food; alone or otherwise!!

L.x.

(Pic - Stephenburch.com)
I changed the little boy's name for confidentiality.

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I always think that these little sayings need to be written down for posterity!

    ReplyDelete