Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Tuesday, 15 January 2013

scented memories

Isn't it funny how a waft of certain smells can bring back memories?

Yesterday my top heavy hyacinths collapsed and, rather than stake them, I decided to drop them into a jug of water. I try to avoid too much staking as that reminds me of ladies in tight corsets - lol!

I cut the flowers and as I rinsed the jug I wallowed in the heavy scent of hyacinths, taking in deep gulps of it.

And then I remembered something I had long forgotten....

When I was at primary school aged 10,  I was chosen to be that year's "bulb monitor" with my best friend, Helen. We were chosen mainly because we had finished our work so we could afford to lose learning time to help children from all the other classes to plant indoor bulbs.

Our teacher Mr Phillips, solemnly showed us the right way to plant them and then we went to each class and showed the other children. I learnt loads here - how to explain something to someone else and of course my love of gardening was further ingrained :)

We planted masses and masses of indoor window boxes which were then put into different stages of darkness to force the bulbs which were, of course, hyacinth bulbs.

And then the glorious weeks came when all the school corridors carried the heavy scent of hyacinths. As each window box went over it was replaced with more!

I was thrilled that my classroom was furthest away from the hall as each morning I could wallow in hyacinth scent as my class dawdled to the hall for school assembly. And after some gusty hymn singing we dawdled back, ready and refreshed, to start work.

Mr Phillips and his hyacinths taught me another valuable lesson; to use my senses to notice the beauty around me; to enjoy being in the moment even whilst working.

And when I was a teacher with my own classroom.... yes we had hyacinths :)



L.x.

7 comments:

  1. Such a lovely post, I can't wait to gulp in the sweet fragrance of my hyacinths when they bloom! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful words! I love hyacinths, too. The scent is otherworldly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, nothing quite like a room scented with Hyacinths. I have just had to cut off my biggest blooms too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully told Lynn. I love Hyacinths too.....I've got some that are just emerging and they are something to look forward to now my Amaryllis has flowered. Thank you for the good tip too :0)
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful memory. My Hyacinths are up in the garden and I can't wait for them to bloom I do love the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So this year I forgot for the first time ever to plant hyacinths for in the house. But your descriptions - I can smell them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so long for hyacinths now, lovely story Lynn.........is'nt the sense of smell a wonderful jogger of memories. x

    ReplyDelete