Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Resilience



The phenomena that is resilience has always fascinated me.

When I was teaching there were some children in my classes who had dreadful home lives yet skipped into school, were tough and could cope with most things put before them.

In contrast, I had a few children from more comfortable and happy backgrounds who still found life very difficult. Change was often an issue for these children and sadly they found it very difficult if they did not succeed at everything they tried. Ultimately, after one failure they decided not to try again.

Well decide they might but they forgot they had me for a teacher - lol! Kids in my class don't just give up :)

But, bearing in mind that I taught the under 6's; my heart just cried for children so young, so vulnerable, having a hard time.

All this has brought me to consider resilience further.

I looked at horrid things that had happened to me and then I realised. There are tough things for all of us to face. I think that the resilient person who bounces back, seemingly regardless, is the person who, no matter if he is 4 or 44,  clings to hope for better times, can be content in the moment, find beauty in the little things around him and knows that "this too will pass."

Just my thoughts and ramblings.
L.x.

3 comments:

  1. I was once told that I am a 'sunrise person not a sunset person'...it has served me well in times of stress.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words indeed Lynn..........my late grandma, who was a formidable woman always lived by the saying, 'that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger'..........and she faced many toubles in her time, including the second world war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words of wisdom. Yes, realising that every single one of us has something to cope with makes us stop feeling sorry for ourselves. We're all in the same boat, just dealing with different things. Thanks for this reminder to be resilient. hugs, xxx

    ReplyDelete