Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Monday, 21 January 2013

Keeping busy

It struck me this morning that with all this snow you could quite easily hibernate and do nothing all day but look at it.

It is now day four of 6 inches of snow and I felt that I needed a kick up the bottom to get going.

Steve's journey to work took less than usual and the main roads were well gritted.

My motivation was really low so I gave myself a pep talk about how that man goes out in all weathers to earn us a living and the least I could do was put that knitting down, slurp the last of my breakfast cuppa and go get dressed - yes I didn't even come downstairs dressed this morning - which I normally do.

So I have cleaned the kitchen (including yanking the oven out and finding all manner of horrors)
Vacuumed all downstairs rooms (roll on when we downsize!)
Done two loads of laundry,
Spot cleaned a rug
Tidied all through
Set the fire for later
Planned the next week's meals

And gone shopping....



... from the garage - no driving for me today :)

(Old towel down to catch all the snow being tramped in.)

I am so glad that I have a store of logs, laundry liquid etc and freezer food in the garage. In the house I have a small pantry of supplies and a crate of spare toiletries.

Gradually over the years I have bought stuff when on offer. I have a list of our favourite products and get them on offer now and seldom have to pay full price. I soon learnt that the same offers are cyclical so I stock up and then wait til they're on offer again.

On the way back from my garage "shop" (!) I took pics of the garden which looks lovely.




And now I am warm indoors about to start the ironing. A pot of homemade leek and potato soup is simmering on the stove.

We didn't eat the beef in port last night - we just weren't hungry. So we are having it tonight. However there is an extra person for supper tonight so I shall have to s-t-r-e-t-c-h the meat with mushrooms and onions and put some chopped up bacon in the mashed potato to fill my menfolk.

Better go - be glad when the side roads are ok to go out and about - I am a rubbish snow driver; so best to stay indoors.

Much love & stay warm.
L.x.

4 comments:

  1. Gosh Lynn, are you sure we're not related. I've been feeling the same way and have also given myself a good talking to..........so far: beds have been changed, downstairs cleaned, two loads of laundry washed, and funnily enough about to clean the oven and contemplating the ironing..........a bit sad I have no garage to shop in.

    Now that we've both been such good housewives I think it's only right we should squeeze in a little knitting time, lol.
    kim x


    ReplyDelete
  2. Feeling the same inertia here - I've written myself a list to spur me along. Loved your snow creations from a few days ago xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't know what kind of pep talk you gave yourself but you were certainly productive! Have a blessed day, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done more than me. I cleaned. Finished off chilli for tonight but the garlic bread and rice are in someone elses capable hands. Caught up with daughter number 3. Wind howling, snow sleeting. Hatches battened down.

    ReplyDelete