Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Sunday, 27 January 2013

Clutter: Fighting a losing battle?

Steve bought me a subscription for Gardener's World which I love.

When I opened this month's magazine I was feeling very clutter militant after a week of chucking stuff out.

There was the usual leaflet clutter within the pages....


This month they had surpassed themselves - 11 mini booklets and advertisements.

And what if you succumbed and purchsed that robin ornament?

Now if you own such a thing and love it - well good I'm pleased for you and I am not having a go at you at all.

But........ all I see is something with lots of nooks and crannies that will need to be dusted.

As I de-clutter and as I shop - I am asking myself  more and more - how much maintenace will this need, how often will I dust and re-arrange it? How much of my energy will it drain?! If the answer is, too much, then I am getting rid of it or not buying it in the first place.

I have, long since, gone past the question of "Do I need it?" I've now moved onto "Does this need me to dust, sort, re-arrange......?"

Just a thought :)
L.x.


4 comments:

  1. What a great question to ask myself, I'll try that tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow I begin the great de-clutter! I can do this! Thanks for all your inspiring posts! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so annoyed with all those bits of advertising that seem to come with papers and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also get a lot of advertising inserts in a magazine to which I subscribe. Looking on the positive side though, it's much better to be able to tip all those annoying leaflets straight into our recycling box than have to have a magazine which has pages and pages of adverts with little content. :)
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're nearly finished with a big de-clutter prior to putting our flat up for sale. As I get older, especially as regards keepsakes, photos, letters, etc. I ask myself, "Do I really want my children to have to decide what to do with this?" Very often the answer is still yes, but I hope to have the opportunity to look at things with them and then let go!

    ReplyDelete