Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Thursday, 13 December 2012

The kindness of strangers

Do you remember, a couple of weeks ago, I said that some of the ladies at Knit and Natter wanted me to buy some baby wool so that they could start a new project - knitting for the premature baby unit?

We still have a fair bit of donated wool which we are working through but no baby wool. So off I went to a local Post Office which also sells good quality wool very cheaply. When I went to pay, the owner of the shop commented on the huge amount of wool I had bought and how I was going to be very busy. So I explained that it wasn't all for me but for the group to knit. He asked what we do with what we knit.

"Oh well if it's for charity you get a discount!" he smiled. "And wait there....."

He went to the back of the shop and brought back a huge sack of wool. "You can  have this for free - my wife used to charity knit but she's stopped now. I've been waiting for ages for someone to come in and buy wool for a charity project so that I could give them all this."

It is not often I am speechless (is it Jill??!!!!!)

So wool donations continue to come in - some whole balls and lots of them - enough for jumpers -  and some part balls.

Even odd teeny tiny bits are making some lovely things like this boys' scarf.



And I even enjoy sewing in the ends.

Note to self: must learn how to weave ends in as I change colour - do you know how to do that? Please tell if you do!

Happy Thursday - keep warm.
L.x.

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely man........it's true, there is a good spirit around at Chistmastime...........sorry I can't help you with weaving in your ends, I just sew mine all in at the end of my knitting. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fantastic! :) Weaving in the ends....not sure either, I just sew mine in too. sorry! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. One way could be to bring in the end and knit it in? I'm no expert. What a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And no I dont think I have ever know you speechless,even when you are having a slurry moment you still come in loud and clear, thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I would have been speechless too! How lovely! I bet you made his day too since he's been waiting for a while to get someone who is knitting for charity! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just carry the end of the finished colour along the back of the work for an inch or so similar to when you are knitting in a motif with colours that carry along the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen - thank you - this will save me some time :)
      L.x.

      Delete