Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Saturday, 8 December 2012

Pause in Advent 2: And then after unwrapping their gifts, the children spent all Christmas day playing with the boxes!


Has this ever happened to you?

I don't think it happened much in our house as my sons played with empty boxes all year round;  making trucks, dens, & cars out of them.  I think they were quite amazed to find a toy actually inside a box on Christmas day - lol!

But this is how I felt myself the other day.

Let me explain....

A well known celebrity who lives locally has been giving her empty shoe boxes to a friend of a friend who gave them to the Knit and Natter group to be filled with Christmas goodies for  children in Belarus. She supplied several boxes every month so obviously spends a lot of time (and money) in shoe shops.  I had a few boxes left over which we couldn't use due to customs requirements, which went to re-cycling. But I kept one, as it opened like a drawer. It was plain black.




I thought it would be good for keeping my blank crafting cards in as they were spilling out of the shallow drawer they were in and getting crumpled.

So I stuck a bit of fancy paper on, added some ribbon, made a carry handle from rafia and hey presto a new card drawer...




It amused me how much pleasure I had had covering the box and how thrilled I am that my card stock will now be kept uncrumpled.

And then I noticed the label I had torn off as I covered the box. The canvas plimsoll shoe within had cost..... wait for it... £270!!!!!!! I don't spend this in an entire year on clothes, make-up and shoes put together!

And then it struck me - I am like the children who after opening their presents spent all Christmas day playing with the boxes!!

                 L.x.

Linking to Floss' pause in Advent

A Pause in Advent

9 comments:

  1. How lovely! It really is a fantastic box - I'm very drawn to shoe boxes - they are so sturdy yet almost perfect, and you've perfected that one completely! At least your local celebrity is donating the boxes - perhaps she also donates her shoes once she's lost interest in them too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure that I could have covered up that D and G logo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Lynn, I love it! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please note I am going to swear - bloody hell. - ok done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goodness me! I can't imagine spending that much on a pair of canvas shoes!! I hesitated about paying 20€ for a new pair of (beautiful, leather) boots this week, because, TBH, I don't really need them! But I did give in and buy them...so now I have an enormous boot box to do something with! You certainly made that D&G box very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an incredible amount of money to spend on a pair of shoes, I'm betting your box was better looking than they were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting me today and commenting. I guess it is all relative - if I earned more I guess I'd spend more :) And as Floss says at least this lady is passing stuff on.
    Still love my empty box though!!
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed it is a lovely box.
    But like you I am shocked that someone paid that much for its original contents!

    ReplyDelete