Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Wednesday, 12 December 2012

Passing it on :)

I started crafting when I was 20. I met a lady who was very crafty and she introduced me to lots of different crafts. She was an incredibly inspiring woman. She also showed me how to bake and how to keep house.

Years later I was a single mom with a very blank council maisonnette to make into a home for my boys. I loved all things Laura Ashley but could not afford it, of course. So I used to go into the Laura Ashley shop decide on what I liked and then go to the indoor market over the road and buy similar fabrics and have a go. I furnished that little maisonette with remnants and off cuts and all the curtains were made from calico curtain lining!

I now have quite a stash of craft stuff and a bit of know-how too, I suppose.  My son's girlfriend is keen on crafts and I have been able to give supplies and lend equipment & craft books for her to try. She is teaching me loads - she is already a fine needlewoman - much better than I could ever hope to be and she helps me when I forget how to do something or want to try something new.

 My friend said she & her daughter & grand-daughter were in a very posh shop last weekend and they saw some finger-less gloves. There was no price on them so they decided if they didn't have a price tag on them, they couldn't afford them - lol! And then the daughter said - "Anyway, Lynn said they're only a rectangle of knitting folded over, we could make these for the price of a ball of wool" - Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That lady thirty years ago taught me and maybe now I am passing it on  - Don't buy it, make it!!

And here are another pair of fingerless gloves on top of my gloves for even more warmth.



Have a fab Wednesday.
L.x.

1 comment:

  1. And I am still wearing the ones you made for me! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete