Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Beautiful Bath

After moving Alex into his new house we slept very well - gosh I was soooo tired :)

Next day we staggered the Tourist Trail!

The Roman Baths............





Where I stood to take this photo, right behind me was this....



It was like being in a architectural sandwich - lol!

My husband is very, very into history stuff; battles, invasions, dates etc. I only got into history after I met him. But mine is a gentler interest. I just wander round these sites imagining all the footsteps that have gone before me; wondering what their lives were like. I ponder on what problems they had and how my own life and its problems somehow calm into the soothing perspective that hindsight can offer.


Many historical sites we have visited lately have characters dressed in the costume of the day. If you speak to them they talk only of the history of the day. It is a very odd one sided, time-capsuled conversation - lol.

May I introduce Fred and Frank..........


Not their real names I expect but I think they look like a Fred and a Frank! Or should that be Frankus and Fredus?

To be honest, I find these characters in our historical sites a bit odd; spooky even. And they do give me the giggles. I remember one lady at a National Trust property, in full Elizabethan dress, proclaiming  in a very loud voice, "I am Queen Bess!" I couldn't help tittering to Stephen, "She's not really, she's Beryl from the Co-op!"

But a lot of people crowd around these characters and clamour to have a photo taken which looks even funnier - on this occasion Japanese tourists heavily swathed in fleeces & scarves; shocked by the shambles  we call Summer, with a pally arm placed upon a Roman's shoulder!!!!!!!

I just turned away and walked through Roman arches amusing myself with Roman jokes remembered from childhood..............

Teacher: How was the Roman Empire cut in half?
                                            Pupil: With a pair of Caesars!

L.x.

3 comments:

  1. I would love to go to a historical site/on a tour with you, Lynn! You'd keep it extremely fun!
    You took some fantastic photographs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Pom Pom - you and I shall walk rose-lined avenues and talk of Mr Darcy!
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There would be no holding you back then! Dont think I have ever been to Bath. Only via Jane Austen. And now you.

    ReplyDelete