Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Wednesday, 18 July 2012

Abbotsbury Sub Tropical Gardens

When we went to Abbotsbury swannery a few weeks ago we were given  free tickets to the gardens a mile or so away. So on this visit to Dorset we decided to use our freebie.

The gardens contain lush woodland areas with deep shade and also very sunny areas. I came away with new ideas for our own garden.

I have a longing for an arch..............





 ..... though I am wondering whether to make a natural willow arch rather than a metal/wooden arch.

I am currently trying to sort out two old bits of border; rejuvenating them and taking out old woody stuff out.


All through the gardens there are pathways leading who knows where. Exciting.


Other parts look a bit more like a suburban back garden.


I love this bark.



I'd quite like a gunnera at the back of our gazebo.

Here is my garden gnome!!


I'd quite like a centre piece like this but they are pricey but I could do it with a tree, gravel and pots....








And this is where we ate a delicious lunch.........


So I need to work some more on my own garden!

L.x.

6 comments:

  1. You are a busy gardening girl! You'll make it all happen!
    What is that huge leaf in the garden gnome (ha ha!) photo?
    What did you have for lunch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pom Pom - Steve is standing beneath gunnera leaves - it is also called elephant ears!
    We ordered a home-made soup and home-made bread and a crab salad and we shared both as we are trying to slim but we did have a glass of wine - well we were on our hols!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    L.x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to visit, Lynne. I like the feeling of not quite knowing where the path is going to lead you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pics Lynn, it looks like a beautiful place. I'm sure you'll have loads of fun planning your garden changes. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gunnera likes its feet in very moist soil, usually planted near water. My old fave Rogersii does almost the same, not quite as big and will happily grow anywhere.
    Loved the garden you visited and Steve is looking fit as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In November time they light the paths with candle lanterns and I think I remember some of the specimen trees and shrubs are lit with spotlights, it is magical. The restaurant opens too. Exciting re-planning your garden. Love Ali.

    ReplyDelete