Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street

Every day is a beautiful day if you walk on the sunny side of the street
Summer days will surely return.

Thursday, 28 June 2012

Let's visit a National Trust property.


On the way home from Dorset we had lunch at a National Trust property; Tyntesfield near Bristol.

After lunch we walked through the grounds to the house. As you can see it was raining by this time. All along the pathways are employee cottages huddled together amongst the trees - it all felt a bit Hansel & Gretel - lol.




And then you get to the big house.


Smothered in grandiose architectural add-ons and filled with much beauty.

This stain glass reminded me of a piece of patchwork quilt.

There is a lot of very fine furniture and crockery.

The home owners were real hoarders and threw nothing out. Many rooms are not yet fully "dressed" and furniture is piled high in those rooms and apparently more is stashed away in the crypt (it has never been used for burials just furniture!)

I loved the colour of this china - a real zap of colour in what can be a bit of a dark house.

And the views are just lovely both the surrounding woodland grounds but also the formal gardens.

We only had a very brief visit but it was a lovely break from the motorway :)

You know, the bit I liked most was the walk to the house itself. It was warm and the rain was warm and soft. There was nothing to be heard but birdsong and the smell of the grass and flowers was subtle and just lovely. It was a refreshing walk and I loved it. Usually I avoid walking out in the rain - it was good to be part of the landscape and exposed to the elements.


Much love,
L.x.

3 comments:

  1. I love visiting formal gardens and walking in the rain is one of my favourite things to do..........it has to be warm summer rain of course.

    Forgot to say in my email........the homemade laundry powder doesn't produce bubbles but still cleans the washing wonderfully well........I left out the borax as my local chemist informed me that they have to order it in, but to be honest the powder still worked really well.
    lily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a new one on me. What fabulous trees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The greens are so lovely! I'm glad you walked in the rain!
    Thank you for sharing your views!

    ReplyDelete